RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Frequently Asked Tax Questions

Assessment | Tax | Other Questions

New! Can I authorize another party to have access to my property tax account information?

Yes, please complete the letter of authorization and send it to

You may authorize a family member such as a spouse or child to have access to your property tax account information.

Who is responsible for assessing my property?

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is a not-for-profit and independent organization that the Province of Ontario created in 1997. MPAC accurately values and classifies all Ontario properties for municipal property tax purposes.

How often is property assessed?

MPAC completes a uniform, province-wide property assessment based on current value assessment every four years.

MPAC is undertaking a province-wide assessment in 2016 (based on a market value of January 1, 2016).

This assessment will apply for four tax years - 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

MPAC may re-assess property during this period when you have changed the property and altered its value.

What is an assessment "phase in"?

MPAC's province-wide assessment in 2016 has a four-year update cycle for years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. It phases in any increases in the assessment value from the 2012 value over four years. If the assessment value decreases from the 2012 value, your next final tax bill will immediately show the decrease.

How is my home assessed?

To establish your property's assessed value, the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) uses current value assessment to analyzes property sales in your community.

Most assessment jurisdictions in Canada and throughout the world use the current value assessment.

MPAC also looks at the key features of every property.

It considers as many as 200 factors when assessing the value of a residential property.

Five major factors usually account for 85 per cent of the value:

  • location;
  • lot dimensions;
  • living area;
  • age of the property, adjusted for any major renovations or additions; and
  • quality of construction.

Other features that may affect value include: number of bathrooms, fireplaces, garages, pools, whether properties have water frontage, and so on.

MPAC analyzes the key features of your property with sales of comparable properties in your community to determine your assessment.

Where can I get more information on my property's assessment?

Please contact MPAC for more information on your property.  MPAC also offers property information, including information on comparative properties at

You will require a copy of your Notice of Assessment as sent to you by MPAC in order to access your property information for the first time.  

What if I disagree with MPAC's assessed value of my property?

If you believe that your assessed value is inaccurate, MPAC will review it if you file a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) by March 31st of the current tax year, with the exception of the 2017 taxation year.

For 2017 taxation, this deadline has been changed to 120 days from the date your property assessment notice was mailed. Please refer to your property assessment notice for your specific appeal deadline.

There is no fee for this review.

To learn more about how MPAC assesses properties or to obtain a form to apply for a Request for Reconsideration, visit or call 1-866-296-6722.

What if I disagree with the results of the RfR process?

After you have received MPAC's decision you have 90 days to appeal to the Assessment Review Board. To file an appeal with the ARB send a written request to the Assessment Review Board, 655 Bay Street, Suite 1500, Toronto, ON, M5G 1E5.

A fee of $125 for residential/farm or $300 for commercial/industrial properties must accompany your appeal.

For further information, please contact the ARB at 416-314-6900, or toll free 1-800-263-3237, or visit .

Would you explain my property tax bill?

You pay property taxes to the municipal government to support the Town of Caledon and the Region of Peel services, and help fund education. The Town sends out tax bills twice annually. It usually sends out interim bills, based on 50 per cent of the previous year's taxes, in January for March and May payments. Final bills reflect new tax rates and are usually issued in June for payment in July and September.

How is the tax rate determined?

Three levels of government determine the property tax rate: Town, Regional and Provincial (education). The Town establishes a budget to provide the municipal services and infrastructure for which it is responsible. It calculates a municipal tax rate that will meet the funding requirements identified in the Town's budget. The Region of Peel follows a similar process while the Province of Ontario establishes an education tax rate. Use this calculation to figure out your residential property tax:

The Municipal Tax Rate x the Assessed Value (CVA) of the Property + The Regional Tax Rate x the Assessed Value (CVA) of the Property + The Education Tax Rate x the Assessed Value (CVA) of the Property = The Total Property Tax

Where can I pay my tax bill?

Taxes can be paid at Town Hall at Service Caledon, at most financial institutions, by Internet or telephone banking, or by post-dated cheques (post-dated cheques cannot exceed one year from the first issue date), mailed to the:

Service Caledon
6311 Old Church Road
Caledon, Ontario
L7C 1J6

Cheques can also be deposited in the drop box located at Town Hall or at any of the Library branches on the Due date with the exception of Caledon East. Please make cheques payable to "Town of Caledon" and write your 19 digit Tax Roll Number (starts with 2124) on the front of each cheque.

Why is the final tax bill sometimes larger than the interim?

If any of the three tax rates (Town Property Tax, Regional Property Tax or Education Property Tax) have changed, or the assessed value on the house has increased, the second billing will be for a larger amount. The Town bases the interim bill on 50 per cent of the previous year's taxes.

Can my taxes be paid through my mortgage company?

Yes. You must make the arrangements with your mortgage company. Contact your mortgage company for further information.

How do I enter my property tax account in my online or telephone banking?

The account number is the 19-digit Tax Roll number that appears on your tax bill (Starts with 2124). The payee is usually listed as "Caledon Taxes."

Why is there an Ownership Fee added to my taxes?

The Change of Ownership or Change of Deed Fee was a decision of Council. It is charged when the ownership of a house, or the name on a deed, changes. This includes the change from the builder's name to the purchaser's. Mortgage companies and lawyers do not pay this fee as part of the closing or initial mortgage payment. Many municipalities and utility companies charge a similar administrative fee.

How can I calculate what my taxes will be on my new home or a home I am considering buying?

The formula for estimating the taxes on a new home is: current tax rate multiplied by the purchase price of the house.

Why is the second tax bill on my newly built home significantly larger than the first?

If MPAC had not assessed your house before the Town billed you, the Town may base taxes on the value of the land only. You will get another bill when MPAC assesses the house. The formula for determining the approximate taxes on a home is the tax rate multiplied by the purchase price of the house. To find out about property assessment, please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) at 1-866-296-6722 or

My house is sold and the closing is scheduled in the middle of the tax billing period. How do the new owner and I split the tax bill?

Your lawyer will do a statement of adjustment, which will show what portion of the tax bill the current owner is responsible for and what the new owner will be required to pay. The lawyers will make these adjustments at the closing. Owners are required to make all tax payments as they are due up to the date of closing.

Why haven't I received a tax bill?

When there is delay in receiving information from MPAC, the Town cannot issue a tax bill. This delay can be considerable, with some people not receiving a tax bill for as long as three years or more after occupancy. (See supplementary tax bill).

What is a supplementary tax bill?

The Town issues supplementary tax bills when MPAC has reassessed a property because of additions or improvements that increase its market value or when MPAC has fully assessed a new building. In the case of a newly constructed home, there can be a considerable delay between the occupancy dates and when the Town receives the assessment information from MPAC.

Until the Town receives this information, the Town cannot issue a full tax bill. Once the assessment information becomes available, it sends a supplementary bill, dating back to when the new owners took possession of the property.

Bills received prior to the supplementary billing are usually smaller and represent land only. If you receive a supplementary billing and you did not own the home during this time, the bill should be forwarded to your lawyer to arrange for payment.

What is an apportionment?

An Apportionment is an adjustment to land taxes paid on properties that have not received individualized assessments for previous years (i.e. Semi-Detached Lots, Townhouse Blocks) and may be for all or part of one or more years. When the Town of Caledon first issues a tax bill for semi-detached or townhouse properties, it is based on a land assessment of the whole lot or block.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) subsequently assigns an individual roll number to each part of the lot or block, based on the final "built on" configuration.

When the Town of Caledon receives the revised Assessment (Apportionment) information from MPAC, re-allocation of the taxes can be created and a billing is issued accordingly.

How do I obtain a tax certificate?

To buy a tax certificate, please mail your request indicating what type of certificate you would like to order (regular/rush) with payment to the Town of Caledon.

For regular service the cost is $60 and for rush service the cost is $85.

How do I get a tax statement?

You can get a tax statement for the taxes you paid up to the two years at a cost of $20 and for greater than two years for $20.

Only the homeowner, or the person whose name appears on the title, can receive the statements and only with proper identification.

How do I change my school support?

Please complete the application form.

After completing the form you must send it to:

Municipal Property Assessment Corporation
601 Milner Avenue Suite 200
Scarborough ON M1B 6B8
Attention: Data Processing Unit