RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Commissioner of Oaths Services

A commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration.  The Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk of the Town of Caledon are, by virtue of office, commissioners for taking affidavits.  This authority is conferred by the Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act. 

Residents are required to call ahead and make an appointment. 

It is recommended that you contact the Legislative Services Office at 905.584.2272 Ext. 2366, in advance to confirm that your document can be commissioned by the Town's Commissioner of Oaths and to make an appointment. 

Hours of Service

Document Commissioning services are available by appointment, subject to availability, during the following days and times only:

  • Monday morning between 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
  • Wednesday afternoon between 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Fees are as follows:       1 - 4 documents     $33.90     or      5 documents or more      $57.63

The person(s) signing the affidavit must show government issued identification (such as a valid Driver's License) and is required to sign in the presence of the Commissioner.

Documents the Town cannot Commission:

  • Wills, "Living Wills", Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • Divorce, Separation, Marriage or Cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Documents related to debt
  • Real Estate related documents
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
  • Declaration or Claimant and Indemnity
  • Declaration for Replacement of Shares
  • Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution - Holdback Security Deposits
  • Statement of Arrears
  • Certified True Copies
  • Tender documents
  • Declaration of a Translator
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card Application
  • Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public from Countries outside of Canada

Documents the Town can Commission:

  • Town of Caledon generated documents
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension document (*Proof of Life)
  • Immunization exemptions
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship Hours
  • Canadian Citizenship forms
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Adult Name Change documents
  • Affidavit of a Lost Cheque
  • Statutory of a Lost/Stolen/Counterfeit Bank Card
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report #)
  • Sworn Statement for the Transfer of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP - Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
  • Travel Affidavit
  • Statutory Declaration of Theft of a GST or Federal Cheque
  • Affidavit of Unregistered Vehicle (boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers etc.)
  • Statutory Declaration for Motor Vehicle Deals Compensation Fund
  • Affidavit from the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal
  • Affidavit of Proof of Residency
  • Affidavit for Lost/Stolen or Damaged Passport
  • Affidavit of Proof of Loss of Motor Vehicle/boat (from an Insurance Company)

* Pension document will state what individuals are authorized to certify/confirm the proof of life document.

Foreign Pension Documents

Residents are required to call ahead and make an appointment. 

It is recommended that you contact the Legislative Services Office at 905.584.2272 Ext. 2366, in advance to confirm that your pension document can be certified or confirmed by the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk and to make an appointment.  No fees are applicable.

Notary Public Services

The Town of Caledon does not provide Notary Public services.  A list of Notary Publics and lawyers who notarize documents can be found in your local phone directory.