RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Council Code of Conduct

As part of the Town’s continued commitment to enhancing openness and accountability,  Town Council adopted a Code of Conduct for Members of Council.

The  Council Code of Conduct was established to provide standards for conduct of Members of Council in the capacity of their official duties. These standards are intended to enhance public confidence and support the Town of Caledon's reputation and integrity.

The Code of Conduct helps to ensure that the members of Council share a common basis of acceptable conduct. It is designed to complement existing municipal rules and regulations and provides guidance on issues related to the acceptance of gifts and benefits, confidential information, Council-staff relations and the use of municipal property. 

Integrity Commissioner

The Council Code of Conduct is administered by the Town's Integrity Commissioner who is an independent accountability officer given authority under the Ontario Municipal Act. The Integrity Commissioner’s duties include provision of impartial, third party, professional advice to Council and responses to any compliance issues related to Council’s ethical responsibilities under the Code, as well as, education and advise to the community regarding the Code.

Integrity Commissioner Reports 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who can file a complaint?

Members of the public, employees of the Town, any organization as well as members of Council, can file a complaint under the Code.

What is the process for filing a complaint?

Complaints may be filed by filling out the Formal Confidential Complaint Form (see bottom of the page). To maintain confidentiality, completed forms should be submitted in person or by mail to the Town Clerk, clearly marked Confidential to: Town Hall, Town Clerk (Confidential), 6311 Old Church Road, Caledon ON L7C 1J6.

How is the complaint investigated?

Following receipt and review of a formal complaint, or at any time during the investigation, where the Integrity Commissioner believes that an opportunity to resolve the matter may be successfully pursued without a formal investigation, and both the complainant and the Member agree, efforts may be pursued to achieve an informal resolution.

The Integrity Commissioner will proceed as follows, except where otherwise required by the Public Inquiries Act:

(a) Provide the complaint and supporting material to the member whose conduct is in question with a request that a written response to the allegation be provided within ten business days; and

(b) Provide a copy of the response provided to the complainant with a request for a written reply within ten business days. If necessary, after reviewing the submitted materials, the Integrity Commissioner may speak to anyone, access and examine any other documents or electronic materials and may enter any Town work location relevant to the complaint for the purpose of investigation and potential resolution.

The Integrity Commissioner may make interim reports to Council where necessary and as required to address any instances of interference, obstruction, delay or retaliation encountered during the investigation.

Does the Integrity Commissioner investigate complaints about Town employees?

The Integrity Commissioner does not have authority over Town employees.

Can an anonymous complaint be filed?

Anonymous complaints will not be accepted.

Related Documents

Council Code of Conduct

Council Code of Conduct - Complaint Protocol

Formal Confidential Complaint Form

The Integrity Commissioner is required to submit an annual report on the activities of the Integrity Commissioner.  These reports may be obtained by contacting the Town Clerk by email or by contacting 905.584.2272 x. 2366.

Additional Information

If you have any questions regarding the Office of the Integrity Commissioner or this process, please contact the Clerk's office by phone at 905.584.2272 x. 2366 or by email.