RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Fire Truck



Retailers can only sell Fireworks 10 days prior to Canada Day or Victoria Day with a permit obtainable from the Fire and Emergency Services department, at a cost of $179. Fire prevention staff conducts spot inspections to verify compliance.

How to Apply for a Vendor's Permit


The Town strictly prohibits fireworks on public property, parklands and parks, including roadways and sidewalks. Fireworks can only be set off on Canada Day and Victoria Day, or the next following day in the event of rain, and are restricted to private property. Actions disregarding the by-law are subject to a fine.

For more information about Fireworks, read the Fireworks by-law.

Safety Guidelines

  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging
  • When dischargin fireworks, always keep a water hose or pail close by
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials, such as buildings, trees, dry grass, etc.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are being discharged
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground.
  • Never try to light a firework in your hand, or re-light dud fireworks
  • When dealing with dud fireworks, wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water, dispose of them in a metal container
  • Keep sparklers away from children
  • Sparklers burn extremely hot and can easily ignite clothing, soak in water after burnout to avoid injury
  • If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes, seek medical attention if necessary
  • Wheels - Nail securely to post or fence, allowing spinning clearance
  • Watch children carefully and always be vigilant


How to Obtain a Vendor Permit

Fireworks are only to be sold 10 days prior to Victoria Day and Canada day. 

Caledon Fire & Emergency Services require the following for obtaining a vendor's fireworks permit:


  • Complete Schedule "A" of the application form.
  • Provide payment of $179.00 (including HST) via cheque, cash, VISA, MasterCard or Debit.
  • Provide the municipal address where the fireworks will be sold.
  • Provide written authorization by the vendor or their agent
  • If you are not the landowner, obtain written consent from the landowner to sell fireworks
  • Provide proof of liability insurance of at least 2 million dollars

Apply Now

Prior to Obtaining the Permit

  • At least 40 days before the event, contact the Fire Prevention Division at (905) 584-2272 x. 4303 or to arrange for a fire safety inspection.
  • Ensure fire extinguishers are tagged, serviced and located as required by the Ontario Fire Code.
  • Ensure sprinkler heads are unobstructed and at least 18" clearance is maintained (if applicable).
  • Provide and maintain a minimum of two (2) unobstructed exits as per the Ontario Fire Code and The Explosives Act.
  • Ensure that aisles are at least 1.2m wide and unobstructed
  • Ensure that exit signs are illuminated as required
  • Ensure that emergency lighting is maintained and inspected as required   

If the above requirements are met the Fire Inspector will issue the permit.

After the Permit is Issued

  • Post the fireworks permit in a conspicuous location.
  • Ensure that displayed fireworks are separated into lots not exceeding 25 kg, as outlined by the Explosives Act. (See Consumer Fireworks Retail Package.)
  • Keep fireworks away from accelerants and do not expose them to direct sun or excess heat.
  • Ensure that fireworks not in consumer packages are not publicly accessible.
  • Sell fireworks to individuals who are 18 years of age or older.
  • Separate each lot of fireworks by means of a fire break.
  • Keep fireworks 8m away from sources of ignition and 3m away from any vehicle parking area.
  • Store no more than 1,000 kg of consumer fireworks (including fireworks that are displayed for sale).

Vendor Permit Checklist (printable version)