RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Criminal Record Checks and Police Checks

Criminal record checks and police checks are required for a variety of purposes including employment, adoption, international travel, volunteer work, citizenship, name change, student placement or to obtain a record suspension (formerly pardon).

Checklist -- before you visit

  • Have you done your research?
    Make sure you understand which forms you need and the requirements for each.  Learn more
  • Have you left enough time?
    Requests can take up to two weeks (ten business days) to complete. Please allow sufficient lead time to meet your deadline.
  • Are you a Caledon resident?
    The OPP Caledon detachment can complete criminal record checks only for individuals who live in Caledon.
  • Have you completed the necessary form?
    Before you visit the Caledon OPP detachment, please complete the form for a criminal record check and/or vulnerable sector check and bring it with you.
  • Do you require a Vulnerable Sector Check?
    Please ensure you have a letter from the organization you will be working with. Learn more
  • Do you have two pieces of identification?
    PLEASE NOTE:  One of the pieces must have a photo.  Social Insurance Numbers or Health Cards are NOT accepted.
  • Do you have $25 in cash?
    Except for volunteers, the processing fee is $25.00, payable in cash (no debit or credit). The fee is waived for volunteers. (Please provide exact change.)
  • Are you coming to pick up your processed CRC/VSC?
    Only YOU -- the applicant -- can pick up the CRC/VSC.  We will not provide the documents to a family member or friend or anyone else. 
  • When are we open?
    Bring your completed application, identification and $25 fee (in cash) to the Caledon OPP detachment (map) during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
  • Where are we?
    The Caledon OPP detachment is located at 15924 Innis Lake Road, Caledon. Get directions 

Vulnerable Sector Checks

Vulnerable Sector Checks are conducted if you will have access to or be in a position of trust or authority over children or people who are dependent or at greater risk of being harmed. Learn more

You must have a letter from the organization / institution (taxi company, senior centre, not-for-profit, school, sports organization, college, etc.). 

  • The letter must be on company/organization letterhead.
  • It must be a standalone letter and NOT part of another document. If you have received an offer of employment, for example, that requires a Vulnerable Sector Check, you still need a separate letter written expressly for that purpose. 
  • It must be addressed to the attention of the Ontario Provincial Police.
  • It must state "Vulnerable Sector Check" is needed.
  • It must include your NAME and POSITION.
  • If you are a VOLUNTEER, the letter must clearly state "volunteer position, applicant is not being paid."
  • The letter must be signed by a representative of the company / organization.

View sample letter (pdf)


criminal record checks