RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Historical Maps

map of 1854 Bolton

Bolton Map

A map of Bolton from 1854 -- believed to be the oldest known map in existence -- was discovered during demolition of an old house in Bolton. Click on the image at right to view a larger version (photo courtesy of M. Starr).

1859 George Tremaine Map of Peel County

The 1859 Tremaine Map of Peel County provides the first glimpse of Caledon’s 19th century settlement patterns.

Property owners are identified, as are the sites of schoolhouses, churches, small businesses and industries.

Published by subscription, the only agricultural dwellings and village commercial enterprises shown are those of paid subscribers.

Copies of the Tremaine Map are available from the Region of Peel Archives.

1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of the County of Peel

The 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of the County of Peel comprises township and village maps, together with short histories of both.

The township maps indicate the names of property owners, and show the location of key features, such as farmsteads and orchards, schoolhouses, churches, inns, blacksmith shops, saw and grist mills, quarries, natural springs and railways.

The Atlas also includes lithographs of a number of prominent citizens, residences, and industrial sites.

Fire Insurance Maps

Early 20th century fire insurance maps exist for the villages of Alton, Cheltenham and Bolton, depicting information on the built form and building materials in use in these village cores.

Copies of these maps are held by the Heritage Resource Office and the Region of Peel Archives.

Early Topographic Maps

The Department of Defence published several topographic maps between 1914 and 1957, providing an interesting overview of rural Caledon in the first half of the 20th century.